Thursday, May 25, 2006

Probably not Green Monkey Fever

A real disease, by the way, and a nasty one.

No real post today, and possibly none for a few more days. I have been in bed with a virus, which means twice or thrice daily showers, drinking vast amounts of fluids and getting ninety percent of my nuritional needs from anti-inflammatories, paracetamol and orphenadrine.

I now know what people must have thought of me when I sent them home from the ED saying "Most of these things go for two or three days". It's been six days of this crap. Please somebody tell me I have never used the term "only a virus". Marburg and Ebola and HIV are only viruses.

I think this may be that thing Danny had that I was so spectacularly unhelpful with.

On the bright side, I have probably lost weight and I have managed to realise how much I am looking forward to going back to the ED.

That's used up my thirty minutes of energy for the day, so back to bed.

Thanks for listening,
John

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doc, it sounds very much like what I had - and quite a few others have had it too. Each week at work we're down two people on average as it works it's way through.

It's a bastard of an infection. I lost a fair bit of weight, was totally devoid of energy, coughed myself into bleeding and generally was sicker than I can ever remember. The other half had to take a day off when it hit it's worst point and was ready to pack me off to the hospital for admission to the morgue.

If it helps it generally goes after about 7 to 10 days. It'll leave you exceedingly weak for a while after that, you'll be short of breath and you'll get sick easily. It weakens the immune system and saps whatever you've built up. But it does pass and when it goes it goes rapidly.

The sweating was the worse for me - I insisted on getting out of bed each day to wash the sheets and assorted clothing because I felt sick of the smell of even a little bit of sweat. Now the smell of sweat can still make me retch. I love nice side effects.

Agree with your points in regards to Marburg, HIV and Ebola, but what about Lassa?

And don't feel bad - all the doctors I saw and spoke to were useless with this.

5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh nooo! I hope you feel better soon.

(word recognition software believes you have "llasma". Stay in bed, drink lots of fluids...oh wait, you already know that)

6:01 AM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

I do hope you feel better. But "it's only a virus." Hey, a husbandectomy take a lot more weight off you (that's a good thing, though), and you need lots of fluids. Right now a nice 2004 Chateau Montroche Costieres de Nimes* is helping with the Ebola or Marburg here is the U.S. What about Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever?

*Weird French diacritical marks omitted.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Tournee Du Chat Noir said...

I think Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is a Rickettsia...! (Which isn't a virus, it's a weird-arse intracellular parasite thingy like Typhus!)...

Send vibes my way so I don't catch this... I don't have any sick days left!

TduCN

11:33 AM  
Blogger Bronze John said...

Back from the dead, and back healing the sick... and about to blog as evidence.

Thanks a lot for the well wishes. I have undeservedly good friends.

John

12:01 PM  
Blogger Benedict 16th said...

Did you see you in Black shirt on TV (Channel Packer) on the news last night?
It was stock footage in an article on the option of Interns going part time.

Benedict

PS You have some Dr Who Episodes to watch....

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home