Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Cute and insubstantial post

Hail,

I don't normally get involved in the cat side of things. My wife, who is beauteous, breeds cats which are beauteous, and it makes her happy and that's enough for me. She is highly thought of in this field, as she is in others, and strangers write to her from far corners of the globe asking obscure questions about cat genetics, which she answers. I am, and will remain, deeply ignorant of this kind of thing.

But one thing I have discovered is that the cat fancy, as it is called, seems to have more than its fair share of eccentrics. Many of them have interesting sexual pasts, for example - the ex-brothel manager who now breeds Russian blues, or the woman who was imprisoned back in the seventies for taking artistic photographs of street kids. Others have unusual ways of looking at the world - the national circuit judge (and ex-Atlantean princess) who is in constant communion with the fairies, for example, the same woman who took the photos, or Crazy Nigel*.

I listen to these stories and smile because Sarah is happy, and also, when it comes down to it, my friends aren't that orthodox either, thank God. I have only once expressed an opinion, when Sarah said someone from the US had expressed an interest in one of her cats (i.e.: wanted to pay eight hundred dollars) but he was a gay white supremacist. I said we could maybe send him a black , mixed race cat, or alternatively direct him to a supplier who may be more appropriate for his needs.

But today Sarah showed me a remarkable entry on a cat newsgroup (written by people about cats, not actually written by cats) which I have decided to transcribe below.

In the end I decided not to keep the Black Boy from Beauty's litter and so I had him desexed and he went to his new home in WA today....I waited all afternoon for a phone call and none came so I just call the lady to ask if he was ok...When I asked why she didn't call she said she was trying to get her husband and family to ACCEPT him!!!!

She ummed and ahhhed and then said they were going to try to come to terms with him... They were very disappointed that HIS EARS WERE NOT BIGGER...I mean VERY disappointed... So disappointed that she didn't want to call me... Her husband is TRYING to like him!!!!!

I told her to put him on the first plane back to me tomorrow and she again ummed and ahhed and said MAYBE they could learn to love him!!!!!! But she said his coat is lovely... Oh good on her!!! I told her I would call her back as I was very uspet and she said "Oh don't get upset I am sure we will get used to him!!!!!"In the end I had to hang up or I may have said something VERY VERY nasty!!!!

Here is the offending boy with his tiny tiny ears!!!!




Like I said, I don't normally post stuff about cats, but I thought this was too odd to pass up.

Now I am going to go off and respond in a thrilled manner about blogs that make me think. Plus comments, and the genitourinary system.

Thanks for listening,
John

*Crazy Nigel, and I am not making this up, was a significant figure in the Innsmouth underworld back in the eighties. His career started when he (at that time called Fat Nigel, over one fifty kilos) was told to go and put the frighteners on someone who owed his employer money.

"Take this" he said, handing Fat Nigel a gun, "and wave it about. Frighten the bugger."

So Nigel took the gun, the first he had ever seen, went in there, got as far as "Listen up" before the gun accidentally went off and shot the other guy in the foot. There was much shrieking and cursing and Fat Nigel apparently felt terrible, but felt he couldn't flee without giving some explanation. He mumbled his little speech and apologised and fled. It was all a terrible accident, but the money got paid that day and Fat Nigel became Crazy Nigel, who subsequently became prisoner number such and such and then a circuit cat judge.

5 Comments:

Blogger Foilwoman said...

Hey, the originator of the Thinking Blogger Award didn't require that the Blogs That Make Us Think make us think pretty thoughts. But, and of course, your blog always makes me think and is one of the highlights of my day, whenever you post. Go with the Thinking. Think, think, think.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Benedict 16th said...

Felisitations!

(Pun and mispelling deliberate)

Benedict
- Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

12:48 AM  
Blogger Camilla said...

Good lord. There are some odd people out there (and by this, I mean the people who thought that kitten's ears were too small. The rest seem perfectly normal to me).

I think I'm going to talk to the faeries now.

Camilla
:)

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you for posting the Kitlers link. I told someone about it a few days ago but could not recall the URL.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww..he's cute. What's not to love? Small ears? was she BLIND????? He looks very bat-like :-)

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home