Monday, September 12, 2005

Do not enter if nerdity offends

Hail,
I've been asked to do this thing by Foilwoman, so here goes....

7 things I plan to do before I die:
----------------------------------------------
Publish some novels
See if I can fight if I have to
Learn blues harmonica
Go on some weird find-yourself thing into the desert for a month
Stay married to Sarah for the rest of my life
Achieve some kind of basic "okay, we know what to do now" competence in emergency medicine
Live forever (seriously - read "The Spike" by Damien Broderick)


7 things I cannot do:
------------------------------
Sing to anybody's satisfaction except my own
Keep the people I love from all possible harm
"Just deal with" the fact that the forces of evil run the world
Look hot in that angular, dramatic David Bowie kind of way
Dance, except in a "squid on LSD" kind of way
Stick with or remember things that bore me
Read all the books I want to

7 things that attract me to the same (or opposite) sex:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brains
Some characteristic I can't define, maybe best translated as lovingkindness
On most people, pale skin, dark eyes, dark or red hair, glasses, nice bum
On my wife, pretty much anything
The ability to stay, at some level, basically incomprehensible
Not having to run the show, not insisting I run the show
Feminism (a committment to overthrowing the structures that prevent women achieving equality of opportunity, not to be confused with femininism, the belief that the overthrow of those structures is best achieved through wearing frilly clothes with lots of little pink bits on them)

7 things that I say most often:
------------------------------------------

First class
Showtime
Excellent
Perhaps that will give you something to live for
Here is a (insert noun)... that I'm not going to give to you
Who's the best/cutest/smartest/most wonderful wife/niece/cat in the world?
Any of a number of random blues/soul lyrics that I just drop into conversation when I'm distracted, bored or really really tired: "Anyway, we're just waiting for the eight o'clock bloods. Bring it on home to me, yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah. Then he can go home with a letter to his local doctor..."

None of these make any sense except to me.

7 celebrity crushes:
----------------------------
Billie Piper
Christopher Eccleston
Jennifer Love Hewitt
That girl from the Betts and Betts shoes ad when I was a kid
Anya from Buffy, Faith from Buffy, Willow from Buffy...
Susan Storm Richards and the Black Widow
Maggie Cheung

Looking at these, it's surprising how many of them were hyperintelligent extraterrestrials, supernaturally powerful demons, superheroes or otherwise unworldly creatures. Wonder what my wife thinks of that...

7 people I want to do this:
------------------------------------
Camilla
Chade
Sarah
Toby
Any of the anonymi
Susan Storm Richards
The Black Widow

Ta,
John

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Done in my LJ.

11:50 PM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

Hey: was that an aspersion on the 7 trope series, which I got from Cookie Monster (he could benefit from a visit to his blog by you , btw)? I am no Nerdlinger.

Don't tick off this almost-extraterrestial (well, if Mr. Foilwoman keeps up his ways, which it looks like he will, I'll be in orbit, at a minimum), tall, dark, superheroine. No nerdliness. We just don't follow the bland, the blah, the Abercrombie & Fitch.

Oh, and squid on LSD? Muy hot. It's the flexibility.

2:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home