Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Chain of command

Hail,

A brief insight into how it works our ICU. Sarah drove me in early in the morning. Most days I try to get there by seven o'clock, but today I particularly want to get in early - I have been told DrSanjeev is off sick. Dr Sanjeev, tall, cultured, incandescently bright - he whose name means, impressively, "the one who brings the dead back to life", is my intern. He is an essential part of the whole chain of command thing we've got going in the ICU, from the top (the consultant, Dr Black) down through the registrar (me) to said Dr Sanjeev.

The usual procedure in the ICU is Dr Black decides something needs to be done and tells me and I tell Dr Sanjeev. Dr Sanjeev goes off and does it. Occasionally Dr Sanjeev has a problem or discovers something of note about a patient and he tells me. I tell Dr Black and Dr Black goes off and solves it.

I worked out this morning that without Dr Black we don't know what to do. Without Dr Sanjeev, on the other hand, we don't get anything done.

Without me, I suspect, things go that little bit faster.

Anyway. A post of more substance tomorrow, or later today if Mr Grote doesn't turn up.

Thanks for listening, John

5 Comments:

Blogger Ladyk73 said...

okay...this post just screams......"self esteem issues."

Okay...so your intern is great, your consultant is great.

I bet....I just bet...you are not so bad yourself. You sound like a great doctor, really. I think the skills you have, that intuitive, feeling, sense...makes you a great doctor.

Okay...I realize that perhaps some subspecialities may not be suited to you. The boring ones with lots of math and detailed procedures and what-not. But you see the whole person...like all at once. That is a good thing. You have that sense.

Which is great for GP's, mental health, and....hm....ers and icu's???
You see the small stuff, not just the big stuff. And you, I bet, are great at the dreaded alcohol and drug job.

Hm....

Ever thought of working at an urgent primary care clinic that serves the poor, the stigmatized, and the mentally ill?

Not the clients that are so far gone...that they end up at the methodone clinic...but the ones on the edge...the ones reasy to slip through the cracks.

The ones...I am absolutely sure....you can help. Really help.

Sorry for the rant. I have read a lot of your blog. It has been an inspiration to me. I have been recently diagnosed with bipolar. My mental health issues this year have been severe.
As I nearly lost everything do to it. I am trying to pick up the pieces, and move on. Try to get better, while going back to school.

thank you
there is hope to recently committed!

Just my thoughts...

Carry on...

:O)

6:46 AM  
Blogger Benedict 16th said...

I always thought of you as a bit of a middle management type...
Not!

Benedict

9:25 PM  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

Ladyk73: My take on Dr. John is that he is an incredibly rare and valuable anomaly. Lots of people have a very high opinion of themselves for no apparent reason. Dr. John has multitudinous reasons for high self-esteem but seems to ignore them. Me, I like the writing. I'm also pretty clear that Dr. Sanjeev brings more dead back to life (and kills fewer to begin with) because Dr. John is his registrar. Just my not-so-humble opinion, but agree with me or be totally wrong.

Dr. John: Sorry for pontificating in your space. I just couldn't help myself. Does Zyprexa or Lexipro or Wellbutrin help with that?

Your Eminence: Hiya, dude.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Juanita said...

Hear Hear, Foilie! Well said.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Juanita said...

By the way, if you or Benedict ever want to read my blog, send me an email at JenBlanck@aol.com. I had to go private, but you guys are always welcome.

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home